Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Silence

In shavasana,
my body's response to
every pose that I have just held
slowly leaches out of me
into the warm bamboo floor:
the ache in the once-fractured
bone in my foot, the tremor
in my right hip, slowly easing,
the throb of my shoulders
from the seesaw
of downward dog/upward dog/down,
the screech of hamstrings and
hyperextended knees and
inflexible wrists

and behind all these physical howls.
the low cacophony of daily crises -
bills to pay, taxes to finish,
lunchboxes, birthday parties, permission slips,
bedbugs/laundry/dishes/bathtime/
pottytraining/schooladmissions/
midlifeangst/almostburiedgrief
that were encapsulated
in clenched muscle, now
like bubbles at the surface
dissipate as my body softens.

My mind empties.
For some uncountable time,
I am free of the burden
of language.

No comments:

Post a Comment